On behalf of the Governors, a very warm welcome to our school web site and our Governors' page.
Our aim is to provide caring family ethos where children can safely grow as individuals and be inspired and challenged to successfully reach their full potential and develop a lifelong enthusiasm for learning. We are very proud of our school and feel privileged to support Mr Sale and the staff in delivering a varied and stimulating education for our children. Together we work hard to ensure that we provide the best possible education for all our pupils.
On this page you will find information about:
1. the roles and responsibilities of the Board of Governors,
2. governance at Hockliffe Lower
3. a list of Governors' Details and Register of Interests.
If you have any suggestions or queries, or would like to enquire about being a Governor at Hockliffe Lower School please leave a message, with your contact details, with the school office.
The Role and Responsibilities of the Governing Board
In all types of schools, governing boards should have a strong focus on three core strategic functions:
1. Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
2. Holding the head teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils;
3. Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
At Hockliffe, we use the specialist knowledge of our governors to provide advice on financial matters, Health and safety, Safeguarding, SEN, curriculum, premises and any other day to day questions that we can. Governors regularly attend training to ensure that their knowledge of governance and understanding of their role is kept up to date.
Governance at Hockliffe
In accordance with their legal duties the governors:
- set a budget each year and adhere to it
- set staffing levels and make appointments
- ensure that Safeguarding procedures are maintained in accordance with the latest government? Keeping Children safe in Education? documentation
- ensure that all the children are taught within the provisions of the National Curriculum
- ensure that any child with special needs of any sort is given the help that he or she requires.
- seek to support the Headteacher and other staff within the school, in formulating policies and applying them.
Hockliffe Board of Governors is currently constituted of 6 members. The Board operates under the leadership of a chair, vice-chair for both sites and with the help of a professional clerk. The FGB meets five times a year and operates with two committees and a number of areas of responsibility
At present there are 3 governor vacancies, two Co-opted Governor and a Parent Governor. If you are interested in becoming a governor, please contact the school via the office or the chair of governors Mrs K. Banville. All governor appointments are subject to an enhanced disclosure check by the Disclosure and Barring Service.
If you have a concern that touches on the day-to-day life of the school, or an issue that is affecting your child, please contact our Headteacher (Designated Safeguarding lead) or our safeguarding governor Mrs. K Banville at this email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you wish to contact the Governors you may write to them via the school office email:
email@example.com or directly via the email address below to the chair Mrs K. Banville
or contact the Clerk to the Governing Board.