Special Educational Needs and Disability

The Children and Families Act 2014 requires schools to make available their Local Offer which details how the school can support children with a special educational need and/or disability (SEND).

Hockliffe is a small, friendly village school catering for children from 4 to 9 years old. The school is situated in a rural setting with a range of outdoor areas which are a source of inspiration for children’s learning. The school building is all on one level with sloped access to the outside areas.

All members of the school community demonstrate life’s positive values and promote a caring ethos in the school. They work together as a dedicated team to establish a happy, safe and stimulating learning environment, in which all children can develop as confident individuals and respectful members of society.

Children are provided with an exciting and interesting curriculum which challenges them to achieve their full potential and to develop a lifelong enthusiasm for learning. The school offers a broad and balanced curriculum that is accessible to all children. Appropriate adaptations are made for children with SEND on an individual basis.

SEND Policy

Local Offer

The Local Offer informs on local services, support and events for children and young people aged 0 to 25 years, who have special educational needs or disabilities.

Central Bedfordshire Council Local Offer

Who is responsible for organising SEND?

The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at Hockliffe School is Christine Carter, who can be contacted initially via the school office. Christine works closely with the Headteacher, Class Teachers and Teaching Assistants to ensure children receive the best possible support the school is able to provide to meet their individual needs.

The Governing Body has overall responsibility for ensuring that the school meets the needs of children with SEND. The governor for SEND is Lisa Morris.

How are children identified as having SEND?

Children are identified as having special educational needs and/or disability through:

  • Liaison with nursery settings or previous schools
  • Concerns raised by parents
  • Concerns raised by teachers
  • Performance below age expected levels
  • Liaison with outside agencies
  • Health diagnosis

How does the school include the views of children?

  • Children contribute to their Assess, Plan, Do, Review cycle by being involved in setting targets and agreeing actions they can take to achieve their targets
  • All children are encouraged to talk about what they have achieved and what their next steps are as part of the ongoing learning process

How does the school support children with SEND?

  • The SENCO oversees all SEND support in the school
  • Class Teachers plan, assess and set appropriate targets for individuals with SEND across the curriculum
  • Class Teachers and the SENCO work together with parents and the child to complete Assess, Plan, Do, Review cycles
  • Teaching Assistants support individuals and small groups both in and out of the classroom.
  • A range of adaptations are made to support learning such as individualised and visual timetables, intervention programmes, adaptations to learning, grouping, adult support
  • It is expected that children with SEND will take part in all aspects of school life with the provision of the necessary support and encouragement
  • If necessary children with SEND can be paired with a ‘Trusted Adult’ in school to support their emotional and social development
  • A whole school approach to emotional and social development is inclusive of all children

How does the school measure progress and achievement?

Children’s progress is measured in a variety of ways including:

  • Statutory assessment
  • Teacher assessment (summative and formative)
  • Monitoring meetings between the Class Teachers and Headteacher
  • Provision records
  • Assess, Plan, Do, Review
  • Review meetings with parents
  • Observations of Teaching Assistants supporting children
  • Observations of children
  • Discussion with children
  • Regular evaluation of the effectiveness of interventions strategies

How will I know how my child is doing and how to support their learning?

  • The school has an open door policy. Parents are welcome to make an appointment to discuss how their child is progressing at school and practical ways in which they can support learning at home
  • Teachers work in partnership with parents to communicate regularly through brief informal meetings at the beginning or end of the school day where necessary and email
  • Parents are given a copy of their child’s Assess, Plan, Do, Review which includes their contribution to supporting their child in achieving the targets set
  • Review meetings with parents are held with parents three times a year

What happens in transition between classes, nurseries and schools?

  • The EYFS teacher liaises with nurseries and pre-school settings of children joining the school at 4 years old. Settings also provide transition forms with relevant information and details of any individualised learning the child has received
  • Teachers at the school work together to ensure that transfer between classes allows for continuity of learning and support through transition meetings and regular staff meetings, including Teaching Assistants, to raise awareness of the needs of individuals in the school
  • Children’s records, including details of their individualised learning, are forwarded to middle schools and teachers liaise with the new schools to ensure that SEND requirements are understood and appropriate arrangements are made

How does the school ensure inclusion?

  • Teachers plan lessons to provide for the range of abilities and stages of learning in each class so that, as far as possible, children with SEND are taught alongside their peers, sometimes with the support of a Teaching Assistant
  • Children with SEND are expected to take part in all aspects of school life
  • Appropriate adaptations to activities and lessons are made to enable all children to take part. Examples of this might be open ended learning activities, learning planned around specific interests, provision of a range of different resources to support learning and using areas of strength to allow all children opportunities to become Learning Leaders
  • Clubs are available providing a range of activities and are open to all children at the school

How does the school liaise with external agencies?

The SENCO attends meetings with local schools to keep up to date with changes in legislation and current educational thinking. Being part of the Kingsbridge Educational Trust provides the school with expertise and advice from other teaching and advisory professionals.

The school works closely with various agencies depending on the individual needs of the child. These include Educational Psychologists, Behaviour Support, Occupational Therapists, GPs, Speech and Language Therapists, Paediatricians, Physiotherapists, 0-19 Team, Parenting Support, Child and Adult Mental Health and CHUMS and Chiltern’s Outreach Support.

Support Information for young people and families

How can parents raise concerns?

Parents with concerns about their child can speak to the Class Teacher, the SENCO or the Headteacher before or at the end of the school day. An appointment can then be arranged to allow for the issue to be discussed in more detail. Parents can also telephone or email the school to make an appointment.

How are complaints about provision made?

Complaints are handled in line with the school’s Complaints Procedure Policy. There is also further information in the school’s SEND Policy.

If a parent has concerns about the provision made by the school they should contact the Class teacher in the first instance. If they are not satisfied with the response, they should then make an appointment with the SENDCo, followed by the Headteacher. If the issue is then not resolved a formal complaint initially to the Headteacher can be lodged. If the issue is not resolved at Headteacher level, a complaint can be made to the Chair of Governors. If the issue is still not resolved it can be taken to The Local Authority and then The Secretary of State for Education.

Useful Documents

Central Bedfordshire Special Educational Needs & Disability Information, Advice & Support Service – Starting School